MANILA — Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Sunday said an examination by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on the remains of Jeanelyn Villavende, the domestic helper who was reportedly beaten to death by her employer in Kuwait late last month, showed signs of sexual abuse on the victim.
“There were clear indications of sexual abuse,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters. The body of OFW Villavende was autopsied by the chief of the NBI medico-legal division, Dr. Ricardo Rodaje, on Jan. 10 in Cotabato near the deceased’s residence.
Guevarra added there were also “old healed wounds indicating that Villavende had been battered weeks prior to the fateful incident.”
Guevarra earlier ordered the NBI to investigate the circumstances on the recruitment of Villavende in the Philippines.
In Department Order 009 dated January 8, Guevarra directed the NBI “to conduct an investigation and case buildup” to be reported within 30 days and “if evidence warrants, to file the appropriate charges against persons found responsible.”
The DOJ order said the investigation includes “the possible liability for violation of the Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipinos Act of 1995, the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003, or other laws on the part of the officers or employees/agents of the recruitment agency that had placed her for employment in Kuwait.”
Villavende’s employer and wife remain in jail in Kuwait.
The remains of Villavende arrived in Manila on Wednesday and were flown to her hometown in Norala, South Cotabato the following day.
The Department of Foreign Affairs has also provided the family with financial assistance to help defray the funeral expenses. (PNA)